State and local legislatures have passed numerous laws mandating that employers enroll in the E-Verify Program in 2013 to determine the eligibility of their employees to work in the United States. For a detailed reminder of the many changes, click here.
The states below have legislation that will go into effect in 2013:
- North Carolina, companies employing between 100-500 people must be registered and using the E-Verify system beginning January 1, 2013. Employers that employ 25 or more but less than 100 employees will be required to use E-Verify beginning July 1, 2013.
- Pennsylvania, state contractors, and sub-contractors must register for E-Verify beginning January 1, 2013, if the job/project is worth $25,000 or more.
- Tennessee, already required for most Tennessee employers, the final phase requires employers with 6-199 employees to register and utilize E-Verify or request and maintain an identity/employment authorization document from a newly hired employee or non-employee no later than January 1, 2013.
- Georgia, companies employing 10-99 people have to register for E-Verify by July 1, 2013. Larger companies in Georgia have already been required to register with E-verify.
ESS can quickly set you up and handle all of your E-Verify needs. Our product, Verif-I-9, gives employers an accurate, automated system to comply with the E-Verify laws with key features such as:
- Automated I-9 processing
- Submits to E-Verify Program
- Quick, accurate results
- Provides confirmation number for record-keeping